This post is a collection of useful articles/videos that I’ve collected about networking on XenServer and Linux.
- Xen Network Throughput and Performance Guide (Technical Overview)
- XenServer: Under the Hood < Specifically device -> PIF -> network -> VIF relationship
- (video) Through the Ether and Back Again < discusses python and the Linux Sockets API
- How SKBs work
- Queueing in the Linux Network Stack
- Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO
- Linux Device Drivers 3rd Edition < specifically chapter 17
As you can see, there are a multitude of elements to consider when looking into host networking issues for a Linux VM running on XenServer (which is Linux underneath the covers anyway).